Pilot Open Farm School Days
Monday 3rd to Friday 14th June 2013
Extending the reach and impact of Open Farm Sunday...
Alongside the hundreds of farms that will be open on Open Farm Sunday 9th June, in 2013 we are piloting Open Farm School Days.
Between the 3rd to 14th June selected farms around the country will host visits for local schools to help children gain a better understanding of where their food comes from.
Our target is to run the pilot on some 30+ farms – a number of these will be experienced hosts who already welcome teachers and children onto their farm, however the pilot will also aim to support host farmers who are new to hosting school visits.
The aim is:
1. to encourage schools to seek the opportunities of learning out on farm
2. to build stronger and long term links between schools and farmers
3. to understand better the barriers and opportunities of encouraging children out on farm
4. to engage children and inspire them to encourage their families to go out on farm on Open Farm Sunday
5. to further promote existing resources and understand where there are potential gaps and develop more resources
6. to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence of Open Farm Sunday farmers to support them to host safe and engaging school visits.
Farmers who are interested in participating in the pilot and hosting an Open Farm School Days visit, and for all other enquiries, please contact:
Annabel Shackleton, Open Farm Sunday Manager
LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) Reg. charity no. 1045781
Tel: 024 7641 3911 Mob: 077 108 867 62